Given how much college students love Chipotle, it was only a matter of time.
On Monday, Boston College reported that approximately thirty students have fallen ill with a “gastrointestinal illness” after eating at a local Chipotle. Among those stricken with what we can assume is some unpleasantness at both ends are members of the men’s basketball team.
Although I’m 100% sure those affected feel like complete and utter crap, these peeps are actually lucky, because these illnesses just seem to be regular old food poisoning, and not related to the recent E.coli outbreak at everyone’s favorite burrito stop. While CNN reports that the E. coli outbreak has spread to nine states (Illinois, Maryland, Pennsylvania, California, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Oregon and Washington) and a reported 52 cases, a Chipotle spokesman said in a statement, “We do not have any evidence to suggest that this incident is related (to) the previous E. coli incident. There are no confirmed cases of E. coli connected to Chipotle in Massachusetts.” While officials from the Massachusetts Department of Health try to figure out what the hell went wrong, the restaurant has closed the Cleveland Circle location where the students ate.
Okay, Chipotle: between you and me, it’s time to get your shit together. E.coli and now this? Never mind that you charge for guac and you don’t even have queso. Keep it up and I may have to find another place to bury my sorrows in a burrito.