This just in: in addition to bringing you into contact with ex-boyfriends and ex-girlfriends, Thanksgiving is bad for your waistline. But it can’t be that bad, right? It’s turkey. That’s like, the healthiest meat (not that you eat a ton of it. It’s literally the most boring part of Thanksgiving dinner). You don’t even eat a ton of food on Thanksgiving. You just sample. Or maybe you don’t. Whatever. It’s just one day. How far can it really set you back?
Answer: 4,500 calories. That’s right. The average Thanksgiving meal will run you over FOUR THOUSAND calories, according to nutritionists. Let’s put that in perspective, shall we?
According to registered dietician Frances Largeman-Roth and the people over at Time, your Thanksgiving dinner is the caloric equivalent of…
- 9 large boxes of fries at McDonald’s
- 5 XXL Grilled Stuft Beef Burritos Taco Bell
- 7 Whoppers from Burger King
- 4 carnitas burritos from Chipotle
- 2 medium pepperoni pizzas from Pizza Hut
- 37 chicken drumsticks from KFC
- 4 medium cookie dough blizzards from Dairy Queen
- 16 snack boxes of popcorn shrimp from Long John Silvers
- 11 Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers from Wendy’s
- 10 classic Beef n’ Cheddar sandwiches from Arby’s
- 48 traditional chicken wings with Honey BBQ sauce from Buffalo Wild Wings
- One order of Fried Macaroni & Cheese, one order of Beer Battered Fish and Chips, and one order of Beef Ribs at The Cheesecake Factory
- An order of Stuffed Mushrooms, Italian Sausage Flatbread, Fettuccine Alfredo, and Chicken Cacciatore at Macaroni Grill
That’s like…13 hours on the elliptical. Fun.
This quantity of food is enough for the typical woman to eat over the course of two and a half days — and that’s the typical woman, not you, who’s carefully watching your weight, and depriving yourself of food so you have more room for alcohol. So while it’s not recommended to go into complete deprivation mode, I’d say complete indulgence is a bad idea too. Holidays are a time to celebrate, and maybe over-celebrate, but they’re not an excuse to completely forget that there are only 15 weeks, three days, 8 hours and 17 minutes until spring break.
With that in mind, happy Thanksgiving.
Image via Belle News