It’s that time again. Summer’s coming to a close, meaning the end of beach weekends, shopping trips, and days spent inappropriately drunk in public. At first, you might be a little bummed, but there’s so much to be excited about with the return to campus that it’s hard to be sad for long. Here are 30 of the best things about returning to campus after a long, hot summer.
1. That first big-little reunion hug.
2. That high-pitched squeal that comes out the first time you see each and every one of your sisters.
3. Your wardrobe multiplying by 80 thanks to your sisters’ closets.
4. Your Thursday night hangout no longer being limited to your hometown’s Chili’s.
5. NEW. BABIES.
6. Pledge rides.
7. Craft nights being completely normal. Nay, expected.
8. Decorating your new planner, although you know you’ll never use it after this week.
10. Showing up to “family functions” in shack shirts without judgment (unlike Sunday lunch at Grandma’s).
11. The return of theme parties.
12. Your hookup options extending beyond your old high-school boyfriends.
13. Actually enjoying chapter meetings (don’t get used to it though).
14. The endless proclamations of “OHMYGOD, you’re so tan! And skinny!”
15. Scoping out each of your new classes for both potential boyfriends and grandlittles. Unclear which one you’re more excited about.
16. Your roommates being more concerned if you DO come home before midnight, as opposed to your parens’ concern if you don’t.
17. Your Tinder crop improving greatly since you’ve left your hometown.
18. Decorating your room completely justifying the three digits you’ll drop at Target this week…sorry Daddy.
19. Your sisters approving of your froyo and wine diet, unlike Mom who refuses to go on it with you.
20. The return of college football. Not that you’ll have any idea what’s going on, but you’ll have a hell of a time getting dressed up to get messed up.
21. Finally having an excuse to bake all the time without being tempted to actually eat anything.
22. You’re no longer met with looks of utter confusion when you walk around proudly flaunting your letters. Everyone else on campus will be doing it too.
23. Your pledge class group text will be blowing up your phone, and you’ll love every second of it.
24. Drinking on a Tuesday night isn’t frowned upon. It’s expected.
25. Going to the gym will be a social activity again.
26. The millions of new photo options you’ll have for your new profile picture.
27. Glitter. So much glitter.
28. All of your new chapter apparel – because you didn’t have enough shirts with your letters on them.
29. That first chorus of “Wagon Wheel” at your favorite college bar.
30. You’ll actually mean it when you say you love each and every one of your sisters…for a little while.