Welp. The world is ending, this country is changing, and free speech as we once knew it is no longer a reality. The following email was sent to the Mizzou student body this morning:
To continue to ensure that the University of Missouri campus remains safe, the MU Police Department (MUPD) is asking individuals who witness incidents of hateful and/or hurtful speech or actions to:
• Call the police immediately at 573-882-7201. (If you are in an emergency situation, dial 911.)
• Give the communications operator a summary of the incident, including location.
• Provide a detailed description of the individual(s) involved.
• Provide a license plate and vehicle descriptions (if appropriate).
• If possible and if it can be done safely, take a photo of the individual(s) with your cell phone.
Delays, including posting information to social media, can often reduce the chances of identifying the responsible parties. While cases of hateful and hurtful speech are not crimes, if the individual(s) identified are students, MU’s Office of Student Conduct can take disciplinary action.
Well, this is an interesting email. pic.twitter.com/apMCbpym3e
— Madi Alexander (@MadiLAlexander) November 10, 2015
Pack up, people. Go home. Shut it down. We’re done here. The University of Missouri is currently envisioning speech that could result in an emergency situation. Nine one fucking one. Call the cops if someone is mean to you.
And while, no, the government isn’t mandating laws restricting free speech, we are doing it ourselves. By denying someone an education for saying something “hurtful,” you’re stripping their rights for the government — not legally, but socially and professionally. This is not great..
Image via Shutterstock